Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Baby Girl Farm Cake

Wow, it has been a crazy week and a half full of holiday excitement and cake orders. Easter came and went rather quickly this year, but it was such a fun day. My three kids were finally of the ages (6, 4 and 1 1/2) where they all could participate and enjoy a good 'ole fashioned Easter Egg Hunt. I am not going to lie, there were a few elbows thrown and body checks given, but they still had a blast. The adults indulged in good food, company and stolen Easter candy. Oh, please... like you don't steal a handful or two of jelly beans from your kid's Easter baskets when they're not lookin'!

Since I was so swamped with cake orders this week, I was a bit sad that I wasn't able to participate in any of my baking clubs. However, I should be back to my normal schedule this week, and I had the opportunity to work on a few really cool cakes. I completed a carved wine bottle 50th birthday cake and a basic hat box cake, but this was my favorite. I was asked to create a farm-themed 1st birthday cake using "girlish" colors instead of the traditional primary colors. It was a challenge I was eager to take on.


We are short on little girls in my extended family (3 girls and 6 boys), and I am just starting to build my business with clients that are not in my circle of family and friends. Let's just say I have made A LOT of boy cakes in the past few years, and I am always excited when I get a cute themed 'girl' cake to work on.


This was such an adorable theme, and I enjoyed my time on it. I loved the way the colors came together and the animals had little personalities. I even developed a soft spot for my pony who ended up to look a little more like Eeyore than I had planned.


Here's a funny note on the barn topper. I originally had all the ducks staring straight ahead until my husband gently asked if I was trying the scare the bejesus out of the poor little girl. They did look a little like they were in strike formation. I agreed he had a point, and adjusted the ducks to a more friendly arrangement. I wish I snapped a picture of it... it was quite funny :)


I also want to note that I took inspiration for this cake from two very talented cake decorators: Beth at Cakespace and Melanie at Cakebox. Check out their cakes here and here.

Thanks everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think, and thanks for stopping in :)