Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake (Icing Smiles)

Have you ever shared a moment with someone you have never met before, and through that moment you become friends. I experienced this recently, and I will be forever grateful.


I was blessed with the opportunity to make this cake for two beautiful, brave little girls, sisters in fact. They were all smiles and giggles when I met them, and yet you would have never guessed that one of these girls is living with brain cancer (Medulloblastoma) and the other is trying to find her own way in spite of the hospital stays, the heartache and the unknown. These two little girls share an incredible courage and friendship. It was amazing to see.


I received an email from Kelly and Molly's mom a few weeks back. She recapped Kelly's diagnosis and prognosis in such a manner that made me tear up instantly. She talked about her family and what they have endured over the last 5 years with grace and unwavering love. I was blown away by her strength. All I could think to do was hug my kids and make the best damn birthday cake I could. There could not be a more deserving family, and it was something, even if little in the grand scheme of things, that I could do to help. These little girls needed to celebrate life!


I was introduced to this amazing family through a wonderful and generous organization called Icing Smiles. Icing Smiles provides critically ill children and their siblings with birthday cakes made by volunteer bakers. Their goal is to provide smiles and joy, even if only temporary, to the kids and their families.


Making this cake was an experience that will stay with me forever. It was a true honor. Kelly, Molly and their family were such an amazingly warm, strong and supportive bunch. God has given them a challenge of a lifetime, and yet I think they will make it through. They have that much love. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers, and I ask that you do as well.

CALLING ALL BAKERS! 
I beg you to join my fellow Icing Smiles volunteers and put your skills and time towards a truly AWESOME cause. You do not have to be a professional decorator to participate. In fact, there are many ways you can help. Find out for yourself here. It is so worth it! I am not sure you can receive a better reward than a giggle of excitement and a big 'ole hug from these kids (and their families). My hugs were two of the best I have ever received :)


Have a blessed day!
Jaime @ The Great Cake Company

2 comments:

  1. This cake is absolutely gorgeous, and would make any little girl smile -- I can only imagine how much it meant to Kelly and Molly. Icing Smiles is such a great idea and it's so wonderful that you are supporting their efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great post! this truly is a beautiful cake for a great cause! glad the girls liked it (although, what girl wouldn't?!?)

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think, and thanks for stopping in :)